Hello my darling bubellahs, I wanted to share about a book I read recently. Because after all, I’m a givah, am I right?
The book is called Babushka’s Beauty Secrets–Old World Tips for a Glamorous New You. I’m sure my darling Bah-ba-rah knows a few beauty secrets, she’s so beau-tee-ful and her skin is like buttah-oy, I’m getting a little verklempt!
Okay, beauties while Linda is recovering, I’ll give you the scoop on the book–in a word, it’s charming.
BABUSHKA’S BEAUTY SECRETS
Old World Tips for a Glamorous New You
By Raya Ruder, Susan Campos
Esthetician to the stars Raisa Ruder learned her time-tested beauty techniques from her Ukrainian grandmother (or babushka, as they say in the old country). Now everyone can discover the all-natural, better-than-botox secrets the Hollywood stars use to shine on the red carpet! Ruder reveals her sought-after beauty recipes that can fight wrinkles, plump lips, and eliminate crow’s feet and acne, using inexpensive, everyday grocery items like eggs, honey, vegetable oil, and strawberries (and a splash of vodka for freshness!). At last, by popular demand, Raisa Ruder opens up her babushka’s secret pantry and shares her most amazing and effective beauty advice:
- Skin-saving SoufflÃ©s – whipped up wonders that shrink pores, brighten skin, and diminish lines
- Chocolate weight-loss wrap- a moment on the hips, tightens, tucks, and nips!
- Hot hair- a cayenne pepper blend that leaves locks silky, soft, and full
- PediPure- a soothing, smoothing foot scrub made with milk and mint
- Lustrous Lashes – a simple castor oil serum that thickens and lengthens
- Perfect Pucker- a mix of salt, green tea, and fruit that plumps up lips naturally
- And much more…
While I didn’t have a babushka,Â I wasÂ a beauty addict from an early age.Â At 13, 14, 15, &Â 16 I could be found not at the movies with the good looking quarterbackÂ on a Friday night, but instead with a towel over my head leaning over a pot of hot water “steaming” my pores with mayo on my head. I have tried a few of these homemade treatments before (egg white mask) but there are so many newÂ recipes in Raisa’s book– and let’s face it there have been a lot of natural beauty discoveries in the last oh… 40 years or so!Â One reason this book is so appealing is that most of theÂ ingredientsÂ are everyday householdÂ items like grapes, strawberries, buttermilk, oranges, bananas, and avocados–stuff that’s already in your kitchen or if not, is cheap to buy!
Babusha’s top 5 ingredients are:
- Potatoes–who knew they were good for de-puffing eyes?
- Vodka–whatever it’s used for, I’m down with it
- Milk–abundant in lactic acid and can be used as a “sort of” bleaching agent
- Olive Oil–it’s used for everyting! Too expensive for daily use in Raisa’s grandmother time, they substituted sunflower oil instead
- Eggs–Babushka used every part of the egg, even the shell
If your pantry is looking a little sparse, there’sÂ an entireÂ chapter on “One Ingredient Wonders.” Why spend a fortune on creams and treatments when you can whip one up in your very own kitchen? Besides, it’s fun! My daughter and I spent a Saturday afternoon whipping up a honey face moisturizer and some coconut gloss.
Part of the charm of this book is reading aboutÂ Raisa’s grandmother whoÂ did not believe in wasteÂ andÂ strictly out of necessity she made the equivalent of modern day products inÂ her tiny village. Word spread and village women lined up at her door to get her homemade beauty products–she had created her own “spa” of sorts!Â This book was such a quick and fun read! If you love natural products, saving money and want some fabulous beauty tips, this book is for you! I plan on getting my girlfriends togetherÂ in my kitchenÂ and whipping up some of Babushka’s recipes to try on each other. I have a feeling we’ll be using a lot of those recipes involving vodka!
Because, like Linda Richmond,Â I’m a givah I have a copy of Babushka’s Beauty Secrets to give away!Â To enter, simply leave a comment to this post telling me YOUR favorite beauty secret (if you’re willing to share). The contest is open to residents of the United States and Canada (and if you win, you must be able to provide a mailing address that’s not a post office box). The deadline for entries will be Friday, July 9, at midnight PT and a winner chosen at random will be announced on the blog on Saturday, July 10.
To Gain Additional Entries:
- Become a fan of Prime Beauty on Facebook
- Become a new RSS subscriber to Prime Beauty Emails
- Become a new follower of Primebeauty50 on Twitter
- Retweet @primebeauty50: RT to win aÂ copy of Babushka’s Beauty Secrets!http://bit.ly/bN0aSx
A special thank you toÂ Hachette Book Group for sponosoring this giveaway!
IÂ use Free!GretchenÂ for all my giveaways!